Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Witness to a Murder

This morning I went to pick up the check sheets from the Kindergarteners I work with. One particular kindergartener is one that is often in trouble a lot, and I've always attributed that some of his behavior problems stem from the fact that his mother died just less than two years ago. As I was walking to his classroom, he sees me from down the hall and runs back into the classroom, grabs his checksheets and runs back out to me. He was in a good mood today. He handed me his check sheets, then showed me a picture of his mom. Then he began to tell me that she died.
Even though he gave me his checksheets I went into the classroom to let his teacher know I picked them up. While I was in there I told the teacher that he showed me a picture of his mom. Then I found out something that broke my heart.
The kindergartener witnessed his mothers murder. The teacher told me his mom answered the door and her ex- husband stabbed her to death while she was holding my kindergarteners baby sister (but the baby sister is okay, and she's absolutely adorable too).
Poor kid. Thankfully his sister was too little to remember it.

No comments: