Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jobs and Death

I really love my job. I don't know what it is, but I really, truly love being there. I love the kids I work with. I think they are fantastic. They are also hilarious.

On Wednesday the kids were being testy, and two of them were arguing back and forth. The autistic kid speaks up and says "Where's the love?" I had been trying to regain control of my group and when he said that I couldn't help but laugh. ( I refer to him and others by descriptions like 'the autistic kid', or 'the blind girl' because I was told I'm allowed to tell people the cute stories, but I'm not allowed to disclose the identiy of the students by saying their names)

In other not so great news, when my dad picked me today he asked it I'd recieved any bad news phone calls and I hadn't, so he told me that my Uncle Clarence (well.. my grandma's brother), he died last night from a massive heart attack. I was really shocked. I was sure Uncle Clarence would have lived another twenty years at least. He was healthy. I didn't know how to act or what to do. I wasn't exactly close with him, but he was very important in my mom's life when she was younger. I've seen posts on facebook from my cousin Bethany detailing who he was to her, and also how a few other members of the family took the news.

You know, I used to think that the younger the person is, the harder it is to deal with thier death, and I do still believe that's true, but I think there's another important factor, whether the death is expected or not. From what I heard, Uncle Clarence was gone before they the EMT's got him to the hospital.

Clarence Trowbridge was a pillar in both his family and in his community. He will be missed, but he has the joy of meeting God now.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Amanda,
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with yet another death in your family. I know how hard it is. I will be praying for you. I am planning on calling you sometime soon so we can catch up...When is a good time for you? How about Saturday night (for you)? I can't wait to talk to you!
Love you!
Naomi