Saturday, May 16, 2009

Part 1:The word of God

I've been wanting to write a blogpost, something deep and meaningful and worth reading, but I'm so overwhelmed by what it will take to put those thoughts down, that I can't find the motivation to write. Then it's another matter than most deep and meaningful things I want to talk about are highly personal and there are instances in which I would prefer to remain a private person. But I guess voicing my thoughts on any given subject will reveal me as well.

sigh

Yesterday evening and during the day today was Life Bridges Leadership Conference. I was supposed to co-teach a breakout session, but no one came to the breakout session. I was actually relieved. I spent the 45 minutes praying and reading Scriptures given in the Main session about the Bible and Prayer..

Scripture and Prayer have always been two things I've considered tremendously important in my walk with Christ.

It is one of my goals in life to memorize the entire Bible. A person spoke at Bethel a few years ago relaying how he visisted a university in Jerusalem and when people found out that he did not have the entire old testament memorized a person came up to him and asked "How can you follow your rabbi if you don't know what he said?" That has always stuck with me. If Jewish children can memorize the Old Testament, (or at the very least, the first five books) then certainly I can memorize at the very least the New Testament, and even better, the whole Bible.
I've made very little progress with that, but it still remains my desire, to know God's word, to truly hide it in my heart. I think what I must know of Scripture is nothing; I know so little. I get overwhelmed, and I think my way of dealing with things that overwhelm me is to avoid them.
But I will keep pressing on toward that goal. When I am working on memorizing Scripture I like to say I'm practicing sword fighting. I call it that because of:

Hebrews 4:12 (For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.)

and

Ephesians 6:10-20 (about our struggle not being against flesh and blood, and the call to put on the full armor of God). Specifically verse 17 (take up... the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.)

I think reading these verses and saying I'm practicing sword fighting gives me that sense of truly being a part of something that's bigger than myself. It gives me the sense that I'm fighting for something, for the greatest thing, God's Kingdom.


Here are some Scripture I read this morning about Scripture:

John 8:31-32 Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

Psalm 119:11 I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Matthew 7:24-27 Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell?and great was its fall!"

Romans 10:17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ.

Hebrews 4:12-13 Indeed, the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing until it divides soul from spirit, joints from marrow; it is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And before him no creature is hidden, but all are naked and laid bare to the eyes of the one to whom we must render an account.

2nd Timothy 3:16-17 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

1st Peter 2:2 Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation

No comments: