Sunday, March 20, 2011

Does God really never give us more than we can handle?

God never gives nor allows us more than we can handle. I don't know about you, but I don't believe it's true. There have been times in my life when I've gone through different things and moments, and I've felt very keenly that I could not handle whatever it was.
I also think if we never went through anything we couldn't handle, then someone has to explain depression, suicide, anxiety, breakdowns, etc.

Have you ever asked anyone to show you the Scripture where it says or alludes to God not allowing us more than we could handle?   The fact is that the Bible doesn't say or allude to that peice of misinformation.  In fact, I would even argue that the opposite is true. I mean, when you think about it... If we could handle everything that came our way, then we wouldn't need God.  Is God in the habit of making Himself irrelevant to us? 

On the other hand, there are plenty of Scripture references that are quite encouraging in the midst of trial.

For example:

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says that God comforts us in our trials

Nehemiah 8:10 says the Joy of the Lord is our strength

Hebrews 13:5 says he will never leave or forsake us

Deuteronomy 20:4 says he fights for us

Matthew 6:31-33 says he provides for our needs

And there is so much more that God has to say about how much He loves and cares for us. I think a lot of us get carried away in our own ideas of how God should care for us, not realizing that God doesnt necessarily do things our way or answer prayers in the way that we would want Him too.  And that's okay. Infact, maybe we should trust him more with that.  He sees things a lot better than we do.

No comments: