Thursday, April 21, 2011

To pledge Allegiance... or Not

Yes, This will be highly controversal.

Yesterday My grandma posted the pledge of allegiance status that has been going around on facebook. I commented on her status explaining why I wont repost it, and this is what I said:
Grandma, I would repost this if I believed in it. But I don't believe this anymore. I don't believe in the republic that the flag stands for. I definitely don't believe this nation stands under God. I don't believe we are indivisible, and... I certainly don't believe there is justice for all. I will not pledge allegiance to a country I don't believe in.

It's not that I'm worried about what others will think. It's that Im jaded about what this country has become and I cant repost something that I don't believe in.
I was attacked for this, of course (shame on you, you know who you are), I was told what I said was BS, and I care nothing for soldiers, and that 9-11 meant nothing to me, and that I'm not American, and it definitely held an undertone of self-righteous americanism... you know the kind of snide, sarcastic response where they are attacking you personally but trying to make it sound not so bad. Yeah, it was one of those.

So, because of that, I'm going to get it out in the open. No, I don't pledge allegiance to this country. This is not an attack on Soldiers. I support soldiers and have the highest respect for them. It's America that I take issue with.

Take a look at what is going on in this country and tell me that God is still a part of it. Or perhaps people are trying to get rid of God. That's why students are getting in trouble for even just having their Bibles at school. That's why preachers are being sued over what they preach about that's why a teacher in California got in trouble for having the pledge posted in his classroom because it said under God on it. That's why this pledge status is going around.... to confront people who are afraid of offending people because the words under God are in the pledge. Now look and tell me honestly, do you really believe this country wants God in it? I don't.

Then take a look at the government and tell me we are not divided. The government almost shut down this month because democrats and republicans couldn't come to an agreement. Yeah.... that doesn't sound very united to me. And let's not forget that the government DID shut down in 1995 and 1996, for a disagreement between political agenda's. Do I even need to mention other conflict and consequences of this nation being divided?

Then look at the injustice that happens every single day and tell me that there is justice for all. There is so much injustice that I am overwhelmed with the idea of even trying to pick a starting point! There may be a black man in office, but you go ask, not just black people, but any minority, if they feel like there is justice for all. Most of them are going to tell you no. Look at the evidence of it... Women and minority make less money. Minorities and low income people are still treated unfairly. By jobs, by police, by other americans... America is not quite the land of opportunity that everyone seems to believe it is. Maybe it was once, but it isn't now... not unless you have money, anyway. Oh, and for kickers to the person who made snide comments about me, let's take a look at what is happening to American Veterans. Why are so many of them homeless? Why are there soldiers who have not recieved the benefits promised to them or soldiers families who don't recieve the benefits when their loved ones are killed in war? Soldiers who have dedicated everything they have for America... is that Justice? Not to me.
'One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all' does not apply to the America I live in. What is there to hope for? What is there to believe in? What is there to pledge allegiance to? A broken economy?

This world is not my home, I hold no loyalty to it.
You want to know what I do pledge allegiance to? I pledge allegiance to God who loves us. ALL OF US. I pledge allegiance to the Christ who died on the cross in my place where I deserve to be. I pledge allegiance to him who was raised to life again and preparing a place for those who love Him. I pledge allegiance to Jesus whose life I am going to be celebrating this weekend. That is where my hope of life comes from, and He is who I take pride in.

No comments: