Thursday, July 17, 2008

Submit yourselves to one another

I love the times when I receive the gentle but wise counsel about something important from someone who understands but has no idea that they are giving any sort of counsel. I think it's just easier to accept that... for someone to talk to you rather than at you.

I guess there is something to be said about submission... I mean, for me as a follower of Christ. I suppose it could also be as a woman and an intern as well, but I feel this is more about being a follower of Christ and a pursuer of the Kingdom of Heaven.
Jesus gave us the ultimate example of submission when he became obedient to the cross, and when he washed his disciples feet, but I feel like there's more to it than service to one another. I don't really know how to explain it... but like it says in Ephesians 5:21, submit yourselves to one another out of reverence for Christ. I'm sure this verse is talking to husbands and wives, but why can't it apply to the body of Christ, seeing that we are the bride? Anyway... I think it implies more than service but I'm not meaning it to be as much as having anything to do with the marriage bed.
So, I've looked at what other Scriptures say about dealing with one another (listed below) and I see all of these things as submission. But more than that, not only do I love as an act of submission, but I allow myself to be loved. Not only do I serve as an act of submission, but I allow myself to be served, and so on, for each thing I've found.

It seems... it's about letting go of pride, being humbled, dying to self... loving. There is something mutual about it. Is it possible for me to love to the full extent of what it means to love if I can't find it in myself to let another love me? Or can I truly serve to the fullest extent if I don't allow myself to be served now and then? Can I really say that I'm really bearing another's burden when I'm still trying to carry my own all by myself? I don't know for sure, but something in me says that I can only serve others as much as I allow them to serve me.... but that thinking seems so upside down, but it seems right. I don't know.

So what's the application? Stop resisting people, Amanda. Just stop resisting people. Figure it out.


Wash one another's feet
Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.
John 13:14


Love one another
A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:34


Be devoted to one another
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.
Romans 12:10


Honor one another
Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10


Live in harmony with one another
Live in harmony with one another.
Romans 12:16


Not judge one another
Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.
Romans 14:13


Edify one another
Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
Romans 14:19


Be in unity with one another
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15:5


Accept one another
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
Romans 15:7


Instruct one another
I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another.
Romans 15:14


Wait for one another
So then, my brothers, when you come together to eat, wait for each other.
1 Corinthians 11:33


Have concern one for another
So that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.
1 Corinthians 12:25


Greet one another
Greet one another with a holy kiss.
2 Corinthians 13:12


Serve one another
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
Galatians 5:13


Not provoke or envy one another
Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.
Galatians 5:26


Bear one another's burden
Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:2


Show forbearance to one another in love
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Ephesians 4:2


Be kind to one another, forgiving each other
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32


Submit ourselves one to another
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Ephesians 5:21


Consider the other as better
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3


Be mindful of one another
Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Philippians 2:4


Not lie to one another
Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
Colossians 3:9-10


Bear with one another
Bear with each other.
Colossians 3:13


Forgive one another
Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
Colossians 3:13


Teach and admonish one another
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
Colossians 3:16


Be at peace with one another
Live in peace with each other.
1 Thessalonians 5:13


Encourage one another
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.
Hebrews 3:13


Spur one another on
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Hebrews 10:24


Offer hospitality to one another
Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
1 Peter 4:9


Not slander of one another
Brothers, do not slander one another.
James 4:11


Not judge one another
Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.
James 4:11


Confess our faults to one another
Confess your sins to each other.
James 5:16


Pray for one another
Pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16

1 comment:

annasheets said...

I hope I am not talking 'at' you, but I really love to see you heart here. You open up here more than you do when you talk to me.

Or maybe I just hear better when I slow down to read. Forgive me.

Bless you for using your gift and sharing your walk with God.