Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pay It Forward

I just watched Pay It Forward... I loved the movie, except for the ending. The ending broke my heart but it reminded me of the Bridge Builders meeting today, we were looking at the hard passages of 1 Peter 2:13-3:22... the passages about submission to rulers and masters, slaves, husbands, wives, unjust suffering, etc., and the study got really intense because we started talking about some stuff that's really hard to accept, but Pete explained: the bottom line is that the Salvation of the person we are in contact with is a higher priority than our own happiness to the point of unjust suffering and even death.

That's hard to take in... it was especially hard for one person who was there. But Ive been trying to take in the message and really consider it because there was something important in it that resonated with me, and I've found myself running into the same application several times since then today. In Pay It Forward, even though the movie is not really about the Kingdom of God or bringing a person to Christ, I see the very concept of paying it forward is what the Kingdom is... it is love. It touched me. I hope the Pay it Forward movement isn't just about creating organizations (www.payitforwardfoundation.com you'll find the foundations started here) but I hope the concept is embodied within the very lives of people everywhere. The Kingdom on earth is possible, and it's closer than ever.

No comments: