Monday, July 16, 2007

Meeting Saturday, Church Sunday

Saturday
Well, I've been spending a lot of my time at church this week. I went to the church on Saturday for training to be a booth leader at the Porter County Fair. It went over time but it was good to hear what they had to say. Basically we just looked at how to set up the projector, info about the sucker pull and what prizes will be given away depending on which sucker is pulled, how the tent will be set up, where we will give away drinks, cues for watching for body language, how to make our body language show that we are approachable, LifeBridge's vision for the fair, what handouts we will have... That seems like a lot of stuff doesn't it? It really wasn't though.
After the meeting I stuck around and played with some of the kids, then I helped clean up and set up for church on Sunday. Around noon time Josh showed up, and after I was finished wiping tables down, I went to talk to him for a few minutes before I went home.

Sunday
Sundays have been long days for me for the past few weeks. This Sunday was no exception. I went to church, stayed for the class, stayed for the drama planning meeting and stayed for Amped (youth group) and went home. I really like my Sundays being so full though, because I really don't have anything else that occupies my time. I could do without the drama meetings though. It seems like if the ideas aren't funny then they don't want to use them. Besides, I can never think of any ideas that fit the perameters that Pete gave us anyway. I think I'm going to quit the drama planning team.
This Sunday was my last Sunday for "Continuing my Walk" class. That was a really good class, and I loved how Pete had only put scriptures into the packet he gave us. It was funny how they had said these classes are to teach me things that a college class wouldn't cover because the main point of the class was something Bethel has been teaching already, especially in Dendiu's classes. I don't think there was anything said that was particularly new to me, but I did think seriously about some of the things Pete was teaching on. It was also an amazing thing because now I feel better about what I believe about certain things that a lot of people believe, but I was hesitant about because it went against popular belief. We made conversation and talked about those things. Pete said one thing during our conversation that I really loved, it was that the goal of LifeBridge is unity and that as followers of Christ we can disagree on minor issues, or maybe they're major issues to the person, but it doesn't matter because it doesn't, or shouldn't, affect them so that they can't stand next to one another at the same church and worship the same God. I would recommend the class, even if you've heard everything before.
I don't really have anything new to say about drama team so I'll just tell you about Amped then. Right After church Josh and I talked about what the topic of Amped would be before he went home, so I was prepared for the topic, but I wasn't prepared for everything that happened that night.
Another helper gave the message and Josh had the youth separate into their small groups. There were two groups and then Josh and all of us helpers separated to each group. I was with the two other female helpers (both at least ten years older than myself... I'm the youngest helper) and we led the small group that had mostly middle school girls. That group is a great group! The other women were leading our group mostly, and I was okay with that, but for the last section they let me lead and it just so happened that during that last portion of small group that we hit a topic that made one of the girls cry. I can't go into details about small group for privacy reasons. After Amped I chatted with Josh and talked with him about the small group and the fair. He's going to get back to me with contact numbers for the people I recruited.
Josh asked me if I was at Bethel to get my MRS and when I told him that I thought it was stupid to pay about $25000 a year to go to a school where the guy to girl ratio is 1:3 and hope that I'm going to get my MRS, he laughed. Then I told him that if I wanted to find a husband I would just take a class at seminary because the guys are desparate and they love Jesus. He thought that was pretty funny too and told me I need to tell Pete.
I finally got home at 9pm and made myself a grilled cheese sandwhich, cut myself a generous portion of cheesecake and grabbed an orange soda. It was the best dinner ever.
Sleep came quickly.

Until next time, God Bless.
Amanda

No comments: