Monday, January 14, 2008

Back at Bethel, feeling... lethargic

It's good to be back at Bethel. Moving back in was rough though. I'm moving into a new room this semester with all new roommates. That's not the rough part. The rough part is that the room was a disorganized mess and it overwhelmed me. But we all began to organize things and it's beginning to look better.
I did something I probably shouldn't have done on Sunday. One of my friends invited me to a Bible Study, and I knew it would be mentally/emotionally exhausting to move in and then four hours later go to a Bible Study where I don't know any of the people, come back, continue to unpack and organize and then start classes the next day. Kate said she would understand if I couldn't or didn't want to come this week. I should have given myself more time to adjust, especially since I didn't get to bed until 2 am last night and I had trouble sleeping. I'm lacking in energy today.
I think this semester I'm going to have to learn to slow down a little. I want to to do everything. The things I want to do are not bad, they're actually all good and beneficial things, but I guess I have to learn to discern between what is good and what is wise.

On the other side of things, it was SOOOOOOOOOOO great to go to Chapel today. Dr. Don Bartlett was speaking and I was just amazed at how the entire room was so silent. Everyone was captivated by him. His presence commanded attention.
And of course, one the of the things I always love about chapel.... Worship through Music. I love the excitement and the feeling of freedom to worship God in whatever means fits me.
I have to admit it, I don't really feel that there is very much excitement or freedom during the musical time of worship at Life Bridge. Well, I sense that there is probably more freedom than there appears to be, but as far as excitement goes, it just doesn't feel like it's there in the people. I feel kind of bad to say that. But you all know that if I thought musical worship was the most important thing, then I wouldn't have stayed at Life Bridge.
I do feel the need to say that just because the musical time of worship seems to lack excitement and freedom, there are other aspects of the church, other times of worship that have a crazy abundance of freedom and excitement. For example, I love the heart that this church has for ministry and empowering one more. I see that in the people.
Did you know that when I was looking for a church this summer musical worship was not my top priority, teaching was not my top priority (but I must be clear that if the church did not teach truth, or tried to water down the truth then it wasn't for me), fellowship was not my top priority, location was not my top priority (although, it was pretty important, if it was too far away I wouldn't have been able to go). My top priority in finding a church to attend was to see 1. how committed the church was to service, and 2. What opportunities there were for me to serve inside and outside of the church.

I love this body of Christ, I just got sidetracked telling Naomi about it.

Anyway, it's almost midnight so I need to get ready for bed and actually get dequate rest tonight.

No comments: