Friday, January 4, 2008

Lies from the Plus Size Forum

I was looking online for womens plus size clothing and I found clothing up to a size 6x(that's equivalent to a women's size 44 pair of jeans), , but nothing bigger than that. If you're larger than 6x you probably better make your own clothes. Although, I can't imagine it getting much larger than a 6x... but that's not what suprized me. Very few stores actually have clothes that are between 28 (hey, that's what I wear!!!) and 44.
Walmart and other supercenters usually don't have jean sizes above a size 26. Lane Bryant has up to size 32, Avenue goes up to 32, Catherines claims to be for sizes 28 and up, but I looked at the website and I'd say more like sizes 14-28, Fashion Bug goes up to size 32, JustMySize goes up to size 40, Kohls doesn't have anything larger than size 24, Old Navy goes up to size 30, WomanWithin goes up to size 40... (info can be found on http://www.sowhatif.com/findmysize.htm )

Yeah, there are a ton of online plus size clothing shops for women, so I was looking at the websites, searching around, trying to see what I could possibly get for a good cheap price. Here's what I found. Cheap= ugly and too small anyway. Most of the stores don't even consistently have the larger sizes for women and they're ONLINE. Wouldn't you think the sizes would be easier to access? Nope. But even that isn't what suprized me. What suprized me is that every single one of these stores that I looked at all had skinny models. Plus sized and full-figured? Give me a break, those women aren't wearing anything larger than a size 14.
Even plus size shops will only display skinny models, but I guess I wouldn't blame them, I totally wouldn't buy clothes from a shop that had models that were actually my size displaying the clothes. *rolls eyes*

But then there was one website www.pluswoman.com and it has sizes up to 10x, (WOAH!!!!) AND they have large models. Props to them for telling it like it is. I requested a free catalog, but I doubt that I'll actually buy anything from it. The clothes I'm seeing on the website are both extremely expensive and extremely ugly. Well, at least the pants are, but the pants are the clothing item that I need. I have big hips and a big butt and a smaller upper body. No joke, my figure is hardly an hour glass. Perhaps a triangle is a more suitable description, ha.

Despite my complaining I do understand that most plus size clothing would need to be more expensive because of the extra material required to make the clothes. Bummer.
As far as clothing goes, if I want to continue to fit into jeans I have no choice but to lose weight.

My 100 pounds in 1 year plans seems to be on a stand still by the way. Please pray for me if you read this. One of the ways that I have been trying to get exercise is by walking and with the snow and below freezing temperatures, that hasn't been very easy. It's also hard to watch what I eat because I have to eat the food that my parents buy. Low income means buying cheaper food, cheaper food is usually much less healthy, a lot of canned, fried, and microwaveable stuff, not much fruit or veggies, milk is a rare commodity. Water is plentiful though, but... and this is a TMI, I keep getting the runs from drinking it, so I've been drinking soda, I try drink at minimun 16 oz of water every day, but it's not easy.

Oh, I guess i'm done ranting for the night. I think I'll check my email one last time and go to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda, I'm on a google alerts for plus size clothing as I work in the industry, and wanted to mention that www.makingitbig.com offers sizes up to 7X, soon to be up to 8X with our new Summer catalog that is coming out later this month. They use truly plus size models as well - you might want to check them out...thx!

Rosalee said...

RosaleeWomensizeApparel.com fashions go up to size 9x and are cut ample. You may choose your inseam or garment length. Rosalee carries trendy clothes, at reasonable prices and uses plus size models.
Click on the link and visit their webstore.